Monthly Archives: February 2007

This weekend, I have to finish up a website and get it programmed by Monday. We had to make something up so I chose a jazz tv channel. I designed the logo and drew the saxophone player. I’m not sure if I can finish it up in time. Because we also have to have a poster done to accompany the website.

Another project I did this week is for Partners in Prevention, a state-wide campaign on campus about not drinking alcohol… or something.. not really sure, I just do the website 🙂

Here is what I came up with.

Since last week at this time A lot of things have happened. I got a website design and programmed for The Serve Center on campus. It’s for their “Big Event”

This website actually validates as XHTML Strict,without errors and I’m excited about that.

Here’s a screenshot:


I also was asked to head up the Agriculture website for Truman. Their current website is http://agriculture.truman.edu The department is very small and they want to get their name out to interested high school students.

So, I have a daunting task ahead of me.

I will also be creating a poster to be sent to all Missouri high schools advertising the Agriculture department. This opportunity came up because an Ag. professor teaches one of my classes: The Horse in Art, Science and History. It’s the most interesting class I’ve had so far here at Truman. The professor and I share the same interests in christian music, books (Blue Like Jazz, etc) and he’s on Facebook. So I will be working with him and the other Ag. professors three hours a week to redesign and reconceptualize their website.

I’m excited.

I was recently burning some old design files onto CD (all 500 mb of them). They are taking over my computer. I noticed a few website screenshots that I thought “this stuff sucks” when looking at it. One such website was the very first website redesign I did… it was for Sargent Construction Company

To make this more interesting I will show you the website design before I was hired in 2004 to redesign and re-conceptualize it. This is what I was hired to redesign:

Now let’s look at my first-ever attempt at redesigning a website. Before this website design, I had never done anything but make graphics for the web, or change the header of a website. I knew HTML really well, and that’s about it. The image-editing program I used was Microsoft Image Composer, a free software that came with an old version of FrontPage. Here it is:

Ok, so during the Summer of 2004 I continued to work full time, because they wanted a page on their website for all of 300-400 construction jobs they did. Complete with pictures and details of the buildings. That meant, opening up every floor plan sheet that was stored in their closet to get the building dimensions and other information needed for the website. This also meant that I would be driving around Fredericktown to take photos of all the buildings they have built there. Here is the current website, a little more complex and better designed.

So I’ve been working hard in Printmaking to learn all this new stuff. Here is my second relief print. The first one I did is framed, and hanging in Ophelia Parish… so I couldn’t get it scanned.
For relief printing I basically carved from a peice of wood the white areas in the picture. Then you press paper against it and it looks like this… Yeah, I’m not too happy with the results.
The next project was using two colors and I chose to draw a guitar, because I always see guitars when I’m in my room, since my roommate as numerous Stevie Ray Vaughan posters, and 4-5 of his guitars sitting around… So here’s an ode to SRV: